Red Tails is based on the true story of the Tuskegee Airmen, an all-black World War II fighter pilot squad. The movie takes place in 1944 in Italy where the airmen are there to fight Hitler’s army. It chronicles their struggle to be assigned a real mission like they’re white counterparts. In spite of the racism and segregated military base, the Tuskegee Airmen were brave heroes that defended their country. They were proud to defend a country, even if they weren’t treated equally in their country. The aerial fight scenes were fantastic and comparable to Star Wars (George Lucas signature style). You really felt the danger of aerial combat.
All of the actors exemplified the characters; however, David Oyelowo, who played Joe “Lightening” Little in the movie, was the stand out actor. To me his performance was the best and he drew you into his brave and reckless character. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Terrance Howard were excellent as well. I wouldn’t expect less from these veteran actors.
The only thing I didn’t like about the movie was the love story that was interwoven into the fabric of the movie. I didn’t think it added value to the movie and thought it was a distraction from the overall message of heroism. This movie did not need a love story to make it great! ~Sigh~
Overall, I give the movie 4 out of 4 stars and encourage you to go see it if you haven’t already. If you have seen it let me know your thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment